JOB TITLE: Program Director
RESPONSIBLE TO: Executive Director
The Program Director works closely with the Executive Director and Board Program Committee to manage the direction of adult and youth ministry programs for Ewalu, including the recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision of seasonal youth ministry staff with the assistance of the Assistant Program Director. This individual will oversee the development and implementation of curriculum that fosters healthy faith, leadership, and community development, based in a Christian community setting and founded on Lutheran theology. This position will also assist in managing church relations and visitations throughout Eastern Iowa, as well as manage Camp Ewalu’s American Camp Association accreditation process.
- Serve as HR manager for seasonal staff, which involves recruiting, hiring, training as well as supervising the Assistant Program Director and summer staff in all program areas.
- Work with the Assistant Program Director to plan, promote, and lead retreat opportunities for groups of all ages year-round, including curriculum development and recruiting staff for retreats.
- Arrange and assist in promoting other programming areas as opportunities arise.
- Manage church relational efforts, which primarily include conducting congregational visits each year to promote camp opportunities and attending synodical church youth leader gatherings, utilizing other camp staff assistance when needed.
- Increase positive awareness of the camp and strengthen its reputation and relationship with churches, and the communities Ewalu serves, through presence at regional Synod assemblies to promote LOM, by making congregational visits, and by attending synodical church youth leader gatherings and other events as available and pertinent, as well as facilitating the participation of other staff at such events to the degree possible.
- Manage evaluations from guests, compile and report feedback to other permanent staff, and coordinate response efforts for continuous quality improvement.
- Provide supervisory support, training, and oversight of ACA standards and the accreditation process to assure the camp maintains its ACA accreditation.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the ministry of the Church at Camp Ewalu.
- Bachelor’s degree required in education, recreation management, religion or other related field; preference given for work experience in camp program development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in public speaking, writing, and small group leading.
- Ability to work with church personnel, community resource people, pastors, youth leaders, and other lay leaders in churches.
- Ability to function and communicate well in a teamwork environment with permanent, seasonal, part-time, and volunteer staff.
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, web-based applications, camp registration/database software, and social media applications.
- Willingness to work flexible hours. Must have a valid driver’s license.
ABOUT CAMP EWALU:
Our Mission: “Ewalu serves as a place to connect the Word of God to the world of God“.
Camp Ewalu serves as a place for people of all ages to strengthen and grow in their faith. In partnership with Lutheran congregations in Eastern Iowa, our ministry strives to support and lift up the body of Christ through building relationships with our friends, families, and neighbors and with God all while enjoying creation. Over 1,000 youth participate in our decentralized, small group summer camp programs and nearly 1,000 more through our Day Camp evangelism program. We also serve an additional 8,000 visitors through environmental education, ropes course, retreat rental, and other outdoor retreat opportunities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Ewalu Camp & Retreat Center
37776 Alpha Avenue
Strawberry Point, IA 52076
Or email application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: September 6, 2019
Job offer is contingent on completion of successful background check. Salary commensurate with experience; health and retirement benefits included. For more information, contact Clark Baldwin (email@example.com or 563-933-4700)