JOB TITLE: Program Director
RESPONSIBLE TO: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Salaried
The Program Director works closely with the Executive Director and Program Committee to manage the direction of adult and youth ministry programs for Ewalu, including the recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision of seasonal camp staff. The Program Director oversees the day-to-day operation of summer camps and programmed retreats, overseeing the development and implementation of a curriculum that fosters healthy faith, leadership, and community development in a Christian community setting. This position will also develop and maintain relationships with churches across Eastern Iowa, maintaining a schedule of visitation with the Executive Director. The Program Director will also assist in managing Camp Ewalu’s American Camp Association accreditation process.
- Serve as HR manager for seasonal staff, which involves recruiting, hiring, training, and supervising summer staff in all program areas.
- Plan, promote, and lead retreat opportunities for groups of all ages year-round, including curriculum development and recruiting staff for retreats.
- Arrange and assist in promoting other programming areas as opportunities arise.
- Manage church relational efforts, which primarily include conducting congregational visits each year to promote camp opportunities and attending synodical church youth leader gatherings, utilizing other camp staff assistance when needed.
- Increase positive awareness of the camp and strengthen its reputation and relationship with churches and the communities that Ewalu serves through presence at regional Synod assemblies to promote LOM, by making congregational visits, and by attending synodical church youth leader gatherings and other events as available and pertinent, as well as facilitating the participation of other staff at such events.
- Manage evaluations from guests, compile and report feedback to other permanent staff, and coordinate response efforts for continuous quality improvement.
- Provide supervisory support, training, and oversight of ACA standards and the accreditation process to assure the camp maintains its ACA accreditation.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and Lutheran practice.
- Bachelor’s degree required—preference for education, recreation management, religion or related field. Strong preference given for work experience in camp program development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in public speaking, writing, and small group leading.
- Ability to work with church personnel, community members, pastors, youth leaders, and other lay leaders in churches.
- Ability to function and communicate well in a team environment with permanent, seasonal, part-time, and volunteer staff.
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, web-based applications, camp registration/database software, and social media applications.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, 25 pounds over shoulder height, and run, squat, walk, crawl or climb as necessary to participate and lead youth activities.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including long hours in the summer.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
All interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Executive Director Frank Johnson at email@example.com. Job offer is contingent on completion of successful background check. Salary commensurate with experience; health and retirement benefits included.
DEADLINE: October 7, 2022
ABOUT CAMP EWALU:
Our Mission: “Ewalu serves as a place to connect the Word of God to the world of God“.
Camp Ewalu serves as a place for people of all ages to strengthen and grow in their faith. In partnership with Lutheran congregations in Eastern Iowa, our ministry strives to support and lift up the body of Christ through building relationships with our friends, families, and neighbors and with God all while enjoying creation. Over 1,000 youth participate in our decentralized, small group summer camp programs and nearly 1,000 more through our Day Camp evangelism program. We also serve thousands more visitors through environmental education, ropes course, retreat rental, and other outdoor retreat opportunities.
We are located at 37776 Alpha Ave., Strawberry Point, IA 52076